Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Short Term Mission


I was asked yesterday by a student what was the point of short term mission trip and did we really make a difference in Africa? I must say these are two very good questions. As I sat there for a second and thought about how to respond I realized quickly the difference we did make in 2 short weeks, but also the importance for continuing trips or a long term missionary to live in Guinna Bissau. I also realized that no amount or words or pictures can ever describe or give justice to a mission trip. Picture show a very small percent of what we did and in our case so much of the impact was spiritual and emotional, you can never take a pic of that. In a culture where women are still bought, have no value, and are beaten and abused. To see a Christian man during a marriage seminar sit by his wife and hold her hand, well honestly it takes your breath away. You can never fully describe it and it certainly means little in a picture.
So the answer is you have to go live it. I mean really live it. Not stay at some fancy hotel or gated compound, but to go live with the people, engage in their lives, participate with them in survival in the harsh West Africa life. Let them know they are an equal and you will work alongside them. This is why we go; to begin relationship so we can share the gospel. It also begins passion for missions, cause awareness, allows other people to come and connect, brings value to their life, and show us a lot of what we think matters in America really doesn't.
We also go to plant seeds, teach, and train others about Christ. In one of the bible studies we had with church leaders and others, we overviewed the whole Bible every book. A young man thanked us afterwards. No one had ever explained each book and why they are important let alone what they mean and why to read them. He was going to read a Bible because of that 2 hour talk. If nothing else it was worth it to go for that one soul to be exposed to the truth of God. I may never know what may happen with that young man or seed, but God will and he used us that night to speak exactly to him.
As I again mulled over the question at hand I realized how important short term trips are and why we need to continue to support them. Can I ever put it into words or show it in a picture. No I do not think I can. What I can say is go and see for yourself, go live with the people, let your guard down and be valuable. I hope all will serve someday weather here or abroad. Also I know we made a difference; you saw it in the hugs, the goodbyes, the pleading to come back, and the asking us to move there. I think the only way to ever understand this is to go and experience a short term trip yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment